August 12, 2010

An Arab Gentleman

We've been busy finding and acquiring a new horse.  Here is Coco, a half Arabian beauty: 
He's also a gentleman.  We went on a ride today with Steve on board Coco.  We traveled to the top of Mill Hollow (located off of Indian Canyon).  He did everything Steve asked.  
Coco had only been ridden English before, so he had to learn about carrying a bigger saddle and saddlebags, and come to terms with the new signals from a different rider. 
Mischief, the old man of 20, taught the young whippersnapper a few things.  Coco wasn't sure about strange cattle troughs, but Mischief demonstrated how to approach.  A downed tree seemed a little scary, but Mischief coached the younger horse on that, too.  And when Coco was reluctant to get his feet wet in a small stream, Mischief showed him how. 
Coco has a funny way of immersing his entire nose when he takes a drink.  While drinking out of the stream he actually blew bubbles!  (Wish I'd gotten a photo.  I'll work on that on our next ride.)
Here's Professor Mischief, back at the trailer. 
He had fun being the leader for a change. 
We still have Boss, who hated to be left behind.  Now that we have 3, we'll be able to rotate the stock on weeks when we're lucky enough to ride often.

16 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for pics! He's beautiful, I love his colors. That's funny that Mischief had to show him how it's done. Good old Mischief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janie, Congrats on the new 'baby' in your family.... Coco is gorgeous... Glad Mischief is training Coco well... That's a great idea---to have 3 horses, so that you can rotate them.

    Beautiful pictures.... Congrats again.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco is a handsome gentleman and quick learner with a good teacher.

    I had a 17-year old Arabian, many years ago, and he was so gentle and had much more horse sense than I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janie, congratulations on your new addition. He is gorgeous and I love his gently nature. Good on Prof Mischief for showing Coco the ropes. Do you think Boss will take over the lessons when he goes out with you? Have a wonderful weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Coco. I hope he loves his new family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. he's beautiful...so fun for mishief to be the leader...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cracker! I'm so envious but I doubt if I could get up in a saddle now! I'd be ok once I had got there!
    The old boy is still beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love your new baby! Glad you have 3 now - you'll have one for me to ride when I visit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fine gentleman indeed. I really like the mystery in your previous post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to get a new horse. Its a beautiful view in that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new addition to your family is beautiful, and I'm glad he's so well behaved. Mischief is obviously a good teacher. I just hope Boss doesn't get jealous of the new arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Professor Mischief, indeed. Now that you have a spare horse you can do pack trips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe you need a third rider so no horses have to stay home! =D

    Congratulations on adding Coco to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intrigued by the different commands. Is it a very different riding style to what you call 'English'? Excuse these ignorant questions from a Scot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coco is beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahhh a new horse friend--hope he works out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin